Monday, April 4, 2011

I Scream, You Scream, We All Scream For Ice Cream!


Yesterday was the 119th Anniversary of the first documented Ice Cream Sundae. Once I found out, there was no stopping me. I was going to have a sundae before the day ended. No doubt about it. I let my Mom know about my new favorite day of the year and she was along for the ride.

When I think of an Ice Cream Sundae, I think traditional American dessert. I picture the pretty glass and of course, the classic combination. It must be a vanilla ice cream, hot fudge, whipped cream, chopped nuts and a cherry to top it off. That is the sundae and that's what it should be. We went to a cute little diner down the road. That diner has everything a place that serves ice cream sundaes should have. Big plastic booths, a juke box, an old lady that makes pie, retro candy, pictures of vintage cars, walls of soda pop and all that jazz. It was perfect for the occasion!

They had a few versions of sundaes on the menu. One was a brownie sundae, one was a turtle sundae with caramel, and the other was the classic. I wanted the good ole' original. Boy, was it a sight to see! I wish I would have brought my camera. In a big tall glass there was hot fudge, two scoops of old fashioned vanilla ice cream, more hot fudge, a huge mound of whipped cream, chopped nuts and a cherry. Oh, and somewhere in there, there was more hot fudge. Yeah, it was totally spilling over the sides and onto the plate the glass set on. I managed to scrap all that up too.

This has to be my new favorite "holiday"! Any excuse to eat ice cream is good enough for me! Until next year... Not that I'll go a whole year without ice cream. Who do you think I am!?



No comments:

Post a Comment