Friday, April 1, 2011

Water for Elephants


I just finished reading Water for Elephants, written by Sara Gruen. By far, the best book I have ever read.

I'll level with ya, I haven't read too many books in my day, but I have read enough. My imagination has always been a force to be reckoned with. Ever since I can remember, I have been day dreaming, pretending and coming up with insane ideas. All of which get be into trouble, but make my life what it is. So, I lean towards stories like these. I like anything from the 1920's to the early 1940's. This book is based on a boy who runs away and joins a traveling circus in the 1930's following his parent's death and then falls in love with a married woman on the show.

I really fancy love stories. But it's a bittersweet kind of thing. The love of my life passed away three years ago. Naturally, people in love leaves my heart and my mind a little saddened. But I truly relate to the old love stories. Most people don't like them because they say it's an "unreal" fantasy. I beg to differ.
I've been in love like the kind you see in movies and read in books. I've felt the pain, faced the hurt that hard times bring, I've worried the same worries and acted a fool for the sake of being with that one person. I've even heard the same romantic words and have been on the receiving end of the most passionate love one could ever imagine. These fantasies do happen and I'm living proof. So really, I relate to these kind of love stories more than I do a true story written in today's time. And I feel sorry for those that aren't on the same page.

This book caused me to take a liking in vintage circus. After the first page I realized I just found something new to research and maybe even collect. I've been looking at strange and wonderful photo's of 1920's and 1930's circus acts, reading about side shows and fantasizing about joining the circus. Yes, my imagination is so profound that reading this book literally makes me want to join the circus. My Mom said she wouldn't be surprised if I did. I wouldn't either.

Since I lost my loved one, I've kissed my fair share of frogs. I haven't decided if I'll ever love again or if I  was already given my one chance at true love. However, reading this book gave me hope. I have a feeling I'm not the only one on earth that believes in that sort of thing. I haven't found anyone close to the leading man in Water for Elephants, but I think I'll wait around for it. In the meantime, I'll put my passion to good use. Currently, I fall in love with things like movies, men that are no longer living, chocolate, dreams, antiques and books. That will do for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment