Thursday, April 28, 2011

Water for Elephants Part 2


A few weeks ago I posted about finishing reading Water for Elephants.
After I was done, I handed off the book to my Mom and she was mesmerized with it just like I was. She's quick, she read it in two days!! The movie was coming out later that week, so we made plans to go see it during the day and we both were super stoked. I anxiously awaited for the day to come, as if the circus was coming to town (ha ha.) I woke up that Friday feeling like a kid on Christmas. I missed reading about Jacob and Marlena and I couldn't wait to get my fix.

I don't see a lot of movies in theaters these days. It costs $9 a ticket for a matinee!! That is outrageous! Last time I went to the show (like, 5 months ago) I went with a date. He got a small popcorn and a small drink and it cost him $12!! Can you believe that!? I certainly can't!
Anyway, I avoid going to the movies sometimes because of the price. It's not like it's 100 bucks, but it's almost as if I am protesting.
When I don't go for a while, I forget how much I love it. I love the smell of popcorn, the silly vests the employee's still wear, the colorful posters and carpet. I even love the preiviews! I get excited by how loud the movies and music are and my favorite part, forgetting everything else for that time frame. I'm a movie-lover already, but going to a show makes it extra special.

Anyhow, we saw Water for Elephants after weeks of anticipation and it was wonderful. I had a feeling that the movie was going to be made to feel old or vintage. Instead, it looked like it was happening now. Does that make sense? I'm not sure. I just find myself wishing that I was in the 1930's most of the time. The movie made me feel like I was and like it wasn't so out of reach.

I thought that Robert and Reese were perfect for playing Jacob and Marlena. I can't imagine anyone else doing it. The thing I love about reading books is using my imagination, because I have a great one. I can imagine the characters so well it seems real in my mind. Reese and Robert were exactly what I saw when I read the book. However, August was different. When I was reading, I pictured him to be tall and more dashing. I thought he had dark hair and mustache. I also pictures him wearing more striking, vibrant clothing. I remember when I first saw the preview, I was a little upset how the cast August. Don't get me wrong, the actor played him very well, just the look of him threw me off a bit.

Other than that, I was completely delighted by the film. I loved every minute of it. Movies based on books always skip out on the details. I suppose it's because they run out of time. But I remember the story like it was my own, so I didn't miss tid bits. Rather, I felt I was keeping some secrets and that was okay with me.

I highly recommend the book and the film. I also recommend that you read the book first, then see the movie. I'm sad it is over. I almost wish the "Twilight saga" was the "Elephant saga." I need more Water for Elephants!

No comments:

Post a Comment